To Japan and Back
“Japan and Back is an important book because of its raw honesty about the missionary experience. Most missionary books paper over the hard stuff, but Japan and Back hits it straight on. Some readers may be shocked, but sending churches, mission agencies, and young people thinking about missions need to read this book and learn from its message.” – Dan Ellrick, missionary in Japan of over 20 years
Joey Stoll had no clue what he was getting into when he went to rural Japan as a long-term missionary. He left full of excitement and arrived in a world very different from what he expected.
Among hilarious experiences living in a foreign culture and while receiving miracles of God’s grace, he faced questions like:
- What should missionary service look like?
- What do we do when struggling with depression?
- How do we process losing places and people we care deeply for?
Compiled in short chapters written as stories, devotions, and journal entries, this is one missionary’s strange journey to the Land of the Rising Sun and an equally strange journey of returning to his own culture.
Interested? Check out a few sample chapters:
- Experience the fun, quirky culture of Japan.
- Learn more about the history of missions in Japan.
- Better understand barriers to Christianity.